MENTONE — The Mentone Town Council met on Monday, Oct. 3 to discuss the progress of various road repairs and the fencing ordinance.
Josh Shephard of the street department provided an update on the sinkhole on South Morgan Street. The drawing for the repair has been completed. The street department will now get quotes from three different contractors for the job. An executive meeting will be held on Wednesday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m. to award the bid.
The board accepted a quote of $37,950 from Phend & Brown for road paving. The paving will take place on Princeton Street, from US 25 to Jackson Street, one block of Walnut street and on Jefferson Street from Tucker Street to Morgan Street. The work plans to begin in the next few weeks.
Aubrey Walls, 203 North Broadway St., was present to discuss her fence. She is putting up a fence made of pallets on both sides of her property line. According to the town’s ordinance, fences can not be made out of certain materials, including pallets.
Walls explained that she plans of staining the pallets and even putting a rail at the top. Her pallets are all coming from the same source, so that they remain uniform in shape and size.
“In no means do I want it to look like a pile of pallets in my backyard,” said Walls.
The board advised that they would look at the fence in person before making a decision. If allowed, Walls will need to acquire a building permit to continue putting up the fence.
In other business:
- The cannon has been repainted. It’s wheel need put back on and then it will be completed.
- The cemetery was cleaned on Monday morning, Oct. 3.
- The fire hydrants will be flushed on Wednesday, Oct. 12.
- The street department was approved for the purchase of a new snow plow.
- Various claims were approved by the board.
- Trick-or-treating will take place from 5:30 – 7 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 31 with costume judging starting at 7 p.m.at the elementary school.