INDIANAPOLIS — Swift sales nationwide have prompted Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) officials to raise Friday’s estimated Mega Millions jackpot from $508 million to $540 million.
If won Friday, the $540 million jackpot would be the third largest in the history of the game and offers a potential winner to take payment of $540 million as a 30-year annuity or in a one-time lump sum payment of $380 million (both before taxes).
Top five Mega Million jackpots:
1. $656 million won in March 2012 in Maryland, Kansas and Illinois.
2. $648 million won in December 2013 in California and Georgia.
3. Current $540 million.
4. $414 million won March 2014 in Florida and Maryland.
5. $390 million won March 2007 in New Jersey and Georgia.
Top seven all-time jackpots (including Powerball):
1. $1.6 billion Powerball January 2016 won in California, Florida and Tennessee.
2. $656 million Mega Millions March 2012 in Maryland, Kansas and Illinois.
3. $648 million Mega Millions December 2013 in California. and Georgia.
4. $590 million Powerball May 2013 won in Florida.
5. $587 million Powerball November 2012 won in Arizona and Missouri.
6. $564 million Powerball February 2016 won in North Carolina, Texas and Puerto Rico.
7. Current $540 million.
The Mega Millions jackpot has been growing for more than three months, since it was last hit for $157 million in March. Mega Millions isn’t the only big money up for grabs in Indiana this week. Saturday’s Powerball jackpot has an estimated $288 million.
Mega Millions jackpot odds are one in 258,890,850. Overall odds are one in 15. Powerball jackpot odds are one in 292,201,338. Overall odds are one in 25.
This press release was originally published by the Hoosier Lottery. Go to it here.