SHELBYVILLE — Indiana Grand Racing And Casino will welcome Rodney Atkins for a free, all-ages outdoor concert starting at 8:30 p.m. Friday, July 15 at along with special guest Seth Cook.
Country music star Rodney Atkins first entered the music scene when he signed with Curb Records in 1996, releasing his first single “In a Heartbeat” in 1997. Atkins released his first full album in 2003, and has since released a total of four studio albums and won numerous awards including “Top New Male Vocalist” at the Academy of Country Music Awards in 2006. Best known for his fourth full release “Take A Back Road,” Atkins’ title track from the album became the fastest-rising and sixth number one single of his career. Atkins is currently on touring the U.S., and recently performed at CMA Fest in Nashville, Tennessee one of country music’s largest festivals.
Indiana native Seth Cook first began his musical endeavor when he started playing as a backup musician in his parent’s band, Cook And Belle. When he turned 15, Seth moved from the drum kit and started playing rhythm guitar. It was soon after moving to guitar that Seth discovered his passion for writing music, fronting a band and entertaining crowds of his own. Now under McClure Kidd Entertainment management, Cook has had quite the career for a 22-year-old. He released his first EP titled “Me Without You” in July of 2015, and continues to grow his fan base, playing shows from coast to coast. Cook has opened for big country starts such as Lonestar, Rascal Flatts, Montgomery Gentry, Luke Bryan and Vince Gill.
The free Rodney Atkins performance with Seth Cook is part of the 22nd Running of the Indiana Derby Festivities. All ages are permitted to the outdoor concert. The list of additional weekend events is as follows:
Thursday, July 14: A Knight in Arms
- Indiana Grand will pay tribute and honor veterans and active-duty military
- Tickets are $22 and include:
- A reverse raffle ticket with a top cash prize of $2,200
- Complimentary cocktails during happy hour, featuring a specialty Purple Heart cocktail made with Warrior Vodka
- Dinner Buffet with selections fit for our country’s Knights in Arms
- Live entertainment featuring the Blue Ridged Banned and the Lady Liberties
- All proceeds will benefit K9 for Veterans, Helping Hands for Freedom and Purple Heart
- To purchase tickets, contact Harry Liggett at (317) 423-1081 or Indiana Grand Racing & Casino at (317) 421-0000. Hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Friday, July 15: A Royal Feast
- 2:05 p.m. – Live Thoroughbred & Quarter Horse Racing
- 6-9 p.m. – Royal Feast food booths featuring local vendors
- 8-10 p.m. – Free all-ages outdoor concert by country music star Rodney Atkins with special guest Seth Cook
Saturday, July 16: A Royal Derby
- The 22nd Running of the Indiana Derby. the gates open at 5:00 p.m., live racing starts at 6:05 p.m.
- Plus the crowning of the first-ever Indiana Derby Queen. The Indiana Derby Queen Pageant will feature a court consisting of the Top Five contestants from the Preliminary Pageant on June 30. The Indiana Derby Queen will spend the next year making appearances, volunteering and representing the Indiana Derby all around the state.