WINONA LAKE — Summertime has arrived and, with it, a variety of things to do at the local parks. Winona Lake Park offers classes and activities for all ages.
Preschool age kids can participate in classes from 9-10 p.m. the following dates:
- “Barnyard Palooza,” Monday, June 6
- “A Bug’s Life,” Monday, June 13
- “Under the Big Top,” Monday, June 20
- “Enchanted Princess,” Monday, July 4
- “Argh, Pirate Adventure,” Monday, July 11
- “Under the Sea,” Monday, July 18,
- “Wild, Wild West,” Monday, July 25
Each class includes themed crafts and hands-on activities like bug hunting, a “royal” tea party and a treasure hunt. Registration is $20 per week and is due the Thursday before each session.
Cheerleaders ages 5 and older can participate in “Poms” cheerleading camp from 10:30-11:30 a.m. Wednesday, June 27 through Monday, July 1. Participants will take part in the July 4, parade. The registration deadline is Wednesday, June 20. Class size is unlimited and the cost is $25 per participant.
Free swimming lessons are available June 13-17, June 20-24, July 11-15 and July 18-22. Times vary by age group and class size is limited to the first six participants. Registration is due the Friday before the desired session.
Art enthusiasts ages 5 and older can sign up for youth art classes as follows:
- Medieval Times, 10 a.m. Monday, June 6
- Color My World, 11 a.m. Monday, June 13
- Mini Monet Art Camp, 10 a.m. Monday, June 20
- Jewelry design, 10 a.m. Monday, June 27
- Around the World, 10 a.m. Monday, July 4
- Superheroes, 10 a.m. Monday, July 11
- Play that Funky Music, 10 a.m. Monday, July 18
Class size is limited to the first 12 registered participants. The cost is $20 per week and registration is due the Thursday before each session.
Those who enjoy the lakes can participate in canoeing clinics. Youth clinics are 9-10 a.m. and teen clinics are 1-2 p.m. Monday, June 13 through Friday, June 17 or Monday, July 4, through Friday, July 8. All sessions meet on the back porch of the senior center. Free family canoeing is available 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 11, and Saturday, July 23, on a first come, first served basis.
Other outdoor-oriented activities include:
- Archery: Youth clinics, 9-10 a.m. June 6-10 or July 11-15, ages 6-12; teen clinics, 1-2 p.m. June 6-10 or July 11-15, ages 13-18; all sessions meet at the park office. Registration is $15 per participant.
- Hiking, biking: 11 a.m. to noon Monday, June 27, and Monday, July 11, for ages 6 and older. Registration is due the Thursday before each session and is $15 per week.
- Fishing: 9-10 a.m. June 20-24 or July 18-22, ages 5 and older. The cost is $10 per week. Class size is limited to the first 10 registered participants. Registration is due the Thursday before each session.
- Pioneering: 11 a.m. to noon June 6-10 or July 4-8, for ages 5 and older. Registration is $20 per week and is due the Thursday before. Class size is limited to the first 10 registered participants.
Other classes and sessions offered through Winona Lake Parks include pee-wee sports, “Build It” camp, “Secret Agent” camp, “Olympics” camp, “Crazy, Cool Science Fun,” “Spa Day,” “Happy Feet” running club, Lego club, “Top the Cake,” “Exceptional Artists” and KC Recycling Eco Team: “Trash Tamers.”