By AMANDA BANKS
Director of Public Relations, Grace College
WINONA LAKE — The school of education at Grace College presented five students with the 2015-2016 Outstanding Prospective Teacher Award.
Each school year Grace College School of Education selects one or more students who demonstrate excellence in their role as student teachers. Recipients are awarded a plaque and recognition for their achievements in the classroom for elementary, secondary or special education.
“It is an honor to present students with these awards. They have demonstrated hard work and service deserving of recognition,” said Dr. Laurie Owen, dean of Grace College School of Education. “I believe they will be outstanding teachers and I look forward to hearing about the positive difference they make in the lives of students in the years to come,” she concluded.
The following students received the Outstanding Prospective Elementary Teacher Award:
- Laura Dewlen, Medaryville, an elementary education major and past student teacher for kindergarten at Eisenhower Elementary.
- Samantha Furto, Westville, was a student teacher for third grade and special education at Harrison Elementary and Eisenhower Elementary; she graduated in December with an elementary education and mild intervention dual licensure major and now substitute teaches fourth grade at Claypool Elementary.
The following student received the Outstanding Prospective Special Education Teacher Award:
- Claire Byers, Ostrander, Ohio: an elementary education and mild intervention dual licensure major, student-taught second grade at Eisenhower Elementary
The following students received the Outstanding Prospective Secondary Education Teacher Award:
- Kyle Hamlin, Tipp City, Ohio, a secondary math major, student-taught secondary math at Warsaw High School
- Alexis Nelson, Auburn Hills, Mich., a secondary English major, student-taught secondary English at Lakeland Christian Academy
The Grace College School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, is an approved program of the Association of Christian Schools International and is approved by the Indiana State Department of Education.