WARSAW — The Warsaw Parks And Recreation board met Monday, May 1, in order to discuss their agenda for the month as well as approve several items that were unable to be voted on in April. During the new business section of the meeting, a citizen of Warsaw, Jennifer Blair, took the floor and made an impassioned plea to the board.
“My name is Jennifer Blair and I need your help and consideration on a matter at hand. I’d like to attend some of those summer park series concerts coming up in central park but I can’t, because I suffer from asthma. The problem is when I have tried to attend concerts in the past I will chose what I have considered a safe location to sit at… when this happens, someone will indeed light up a cigarette. Because of this I’ve had to move my location several times in a short span and then I’ve had to leave early because of a full blown asthma attack…”
Blair continued to request that the parks be made smoke free, and if that was not possible, requested that at least the public concerts be made smoke free.
The board was sympathetic to Blair’s plight, and began to consider her request. Michelle Boxell, a member of the board, expressed her surprise saying, “I thought we already were a smoke free environment.”
After some discussion Steve Haines, a member of the board, requested a month to study the issue and possible solutions. The board agreed with this and the issue was tabled until the next meeting, on June 21.
- The Five Year Master Plan discussed in the previous meeting was approved, and it was announced that the survey to get community input on the plan had been released. The survey can be found here.
- The Warsaw Community School request to offer free lunches at Center Lake for children 18 and under during the months of June and July was approved by the board.
- The addition of new playground and exercise equipment as was discussed in the previous meeting was also approved.
- Danielle Brown was given permission to release balloons at a Celebration Of Life banquet for Ava Sizemore on June 4, at Center Lake. Permission was granted.
- Permission was granted to remove playground/fitness equipment at Lucerne Park in anticipation of the replacement equipment.
- Permission was given to tear down Gladys Ramsey Shelter at Nye Park in the intention to have it replaced.
The next meeting of the Warsaw Parks And recreation board will be at 5:15 p.m. Tuesday, June 21.