WARSAW — The seven-day murder trial of Brandon Thomas Woody, Kyle David DeHart and Thomas Glen Hursey has been continued according to an order by Kosciusko Circuit Court Judge Michael Reed. The order was issued early this afternoon, Monday, April 25. Leading up to the continuance, the case has had a few twists.
The three have been charged with the Feb. 19, 2015, Syracuse murders of Joshua R. Knisley and Tara Lynn Thornburg. The trial was set for Thursday, April 28-29 and May 2-6.
The continuance comes after Lawrence M. Hansen, attorney for DeHart, filed a motion on April 22 to strike evidence for untimely production of discovery or in the alternative, motion to continue the jury trial. The state, through the prosecutors office, had filed notice of additional discovery on that day.
According to the chronological case summary, the court scheduled a status conference of attorneys to discuss pending issues and to reschedule the jury trials. The status conference will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday.
It was eight days after the court ruled to join the three trials into one, that Antony Garza, counsel for Hursey filed a motion for severance from the other two co-defendants. A hearing was held and the court took the matter under advisement, continuing the trial date. On March 21 the court granted the severance. No date for a trial was set at that time.
All three were charged with two counts of felony murder. However DeHart has an additional charge of obstruction of justice, a level 6 felony, and Hursey has additional charges of aiding/inducing robbery resulting in serious bodily injury a level 2 felony and aiding/inducing obstruction of justice, a level 6 felony.
- Woody, DeHart, Hursey Trials Combined
- Arguments Heard On Joining Murder Trials
- Change Of Venue Denied
- Motion Filed To Join Woody, DeHart And Hursey Trials
- Media Thrown Under The Bus By Defense In Murder Case
- Change of Venue Hearing Date Moved
- Change of Venue Hearing Reset
- Hearing Set Tuesday On Change of Venue
- Murder Trial Dates Set For Woody And DeHart
- Wheels of Justice Slow, But Moving
- Murder Trial Postponed, No Date Set
- Woody To Present Brief On Change Of Venue
- Woody Set For Five-Day Trial In August
- Alibi Defense Filed In Murder Case
- Woody Request Change of Venue
- Investigation Continues Into Syracuse Murders
- Hursey Charged As Fifth Subject Involved In Syracuse Murder
- Kyle DeHart Has Initial Hearing, To Hire Own Attorney
- Further Details Released Surrounding Murder
- Fourth Arrest Made In Syracuse Murder
- Woody Requests Bond Reduction
- Kyle DeHart Now Charged In Syracuse Murders
- New Information Released On Syracuse Shooting
- DeHart Arrested In Connection With Syracuse Shooting
- Woody Has Initial Hearing This Morning
- Motion Filed Today To Substitute Attempted Murder Charge
- Syracuse Murder Suspect Was Arrested At Gunpoint In Mishawaka
- Syracuse Shooting Victim Remembered As Big Hearted
- Neighbor Remarks On Syracuse Shooting
- Syracuse Shooting Suspect Now In Custody
- One Dead, One Critical Following Shooting In Syracuse
- Double Shooting In Syracuse