SOUTH BEND – The University of Notre Dame football roster will increase by 24 student-athletes for the 2016 season.
Eighteen of those individuals today signed national letters of intent – while six others enrolled at the University last month, began taking classes and will take part in Irish spring football drills.
The 24 new additions represent 11 states and one Canadian province – six from Florida, three from California, Michigan and Illinois, two from Ohio, and one from New York, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee and British Columbia.
As listed by group, Notre Dame adds 13 skill players, seven power players, three big skill players and one specialist. As listed by position, Notre Dame adds seven defensive backs, four offensive lineman, three defensive lineman, three linebackers, three wide receivers, two running backs, one quarterback and one long snapper.
Six of the 24 players – linebacker Daelin Hayes, defensive lineman Khalid Kareem, offensive lineman Logan Plantz, defensive back Spencer Perry, wide receiver Kevin Stepherson and defensive back Devin Studstill – enrolled at the University in January and are taking classes. They will participate in Notre Dame’s spring football practices that begin March 16. The other 18 players have signed national letters of intent and will arrive on campus by June for the start of summer school.
Among the 24 players who will be freshmen for the Irish this fall is:
- Class Rankings as of 12:30 p.m. EST: No. 9 247Sports, No. 9 Rivals, No. 11 Scout and No. 13 ESPN
- Three members of the MaxPreps All-America team: Boudreaux (first team), Eichenberg (first team) and Kraemer (second team)
- One member of the USA Today All-America team: Kraemer (first team)
- Five who were selected for the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio: LB Daelin Hayes, RB Tony Jones Jr., OL Tommy Kraemer, WR, Javon McKinley and LS John Shannon
- Three who played in the Blue-Grey All-American Bowl in Jacksonville, Florida: DB Julian Love, DB Troy Pride and OL Parker Boudreaux
- Two who played in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl in Los Angeles: DE Khalid Kareem and LB Jamir Jones
- One who was selected for the Under Armour All-America Game in St. Petersburg, Florida: OL Liam Eichenberg
- Fourteen members of the Tom Lemming Top 300: Kraemer (24), Boudreaux (45), McKinley (52), Hayes (80), Kareem (98), Jones Jr. (121), Eichenberg (125), Love (171), Okwara (198), Vaughn (201), Pride Jr. (232), Claypool (262), Book (270) and Elliott (285)
- Ten members of the Scout.com Top 300: Kraemer (37), McKinley (55), Eichenberg (79), Pride Jr. (176), Jones Jr. (187), Hayes (240), Okwara (243), Vaughn (245), Claypool (280) and Kareem (282)
- Ten members of the Prepstar Top 350 Dream Team: Hayes (31), McKinley (60), Kraemer (73), Kareem (213), Claypool (217), Eichenberg (233), Okwara (303), Boudreaux (304), Jones Jr. (330) and Vaughn (331)
- Eight members of the 247Sports Top 247: Kraemer (8), Eichenberg (60), Pride Jr. (95), McKinley (111), Hayes (132), Kareem (182), Jonathan Jones (220) and Devin Studstill (239)
- Six members of the Rivals.com 250: Hayes (31), Kraemer (41), McKinley (59), Claypool (109), Eichenberg (194) and Kareem (237)
- Five members of the ESPN 300: Eichenberg (67), Kraemer (99), Kareem (124), Claypool (159) and Hayes (227)