UPDATE: Andy Gonzalez and Kira Beam, along with their son, Lincoln, and a pet, were able to exit the home without any injuries this morning following a fire in the crawl space of the home. The cause was accidental electric.
According to information received from fire officials, Winona Lake Fire Department was called to the home around noon and the first firefighters at the scene found smoke in the residence and a small fire at floor level in one of the bedrooms. Firefighters were able to gain access to the crawl space of the home where fire was found around the dryer vent and furnace ductwork.
Firefighters contained the fire, which had extended to the insulation and within the ductwork. The damaged ductwork and insulation was removed.
NIPSCO crews responded to the scene and secured the electric to the home to prevent any other fire issues and safety of the firefighters.
The American Red Cross, Kosciusko Chapter, was called to assist the homeowners with housing and clothing.
Warsaw-Wayne Fire Territory was on scene to assist Winona Lake with equipment and manpower. Also Pierceton Fire Department was called for water supply. The company, 1-800 Board-Up was contacted to secure the damaged area of the residence.
WINONA LAKE — Firefighters are still at the scene of a single story house fire at 2701 Sharon Street, in the Southtown Subdivision, Winona Lake. All occupants and pets were able to get out of the home.
The fire appeared to quickly be extinguished as firefighters continue to search the crawl space of the residence for further fire.
Winona Lake Fire Department responded with a full assist from Warsaw-Wayne Township Fire Department and tanker assist from Pierceton Fire Department.