WARSAW — A bad blower fan on an air handling unit set off an alarm and sent Warsaw-Wayne Fire Territory to North Pointe Cinemas, 1060 Mariners Drive, on Christmas Day, disrupting the enjoyment of hundreds of movie goers. The alarm was received at 7:05 p.m. The theatre reportedly had a full house.
The cinema was showing “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” “Daddy’s Home,” “Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip,” “Joy,” “Sisters,” “Concussion” and “Point Break.”
WWFT Fire Chief Mike Wilson stated the automatic fire alarm was activated and reset by the manager, however, fire crews were already en route. Firefighters, upon speaking to the manager, learned there was smoke in the projection room, which encompasses the entire length of the building. Firefighters activated the manual fire alarm and evacuated the theatre.
A search by firefighters found small fire had damaged a heating unit on the roof, causing smoke to enter the building. A bad blower fan was found to be the culprit. Once firefighters determined the building was safe, the patrons were allowed to re-enter the building and continue their movie enjoyment.
Assistance was requested from Winona Lake Fire Department.