By SGT. ANTHONY EMERY
Human Resources and Administration Employment Services Section, Indiana State Police
INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana State Police is now accepting applications for the 76th Recruit Academy. Individuals who are interested in beginning a rewarding career as an Indiana State Trooper may apply online. This website will provide a detailed synopsis of the application process and information on additional career opportunities with the Indiana State Police Department.
Applications must be received via e-mail by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 6. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted for the 76th Recruit Academy.
Basic eligibility requirements and consideration factors for an Indiana State Trooper include the following:
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must be at least 21 and younger than 40 years of age when appointed as a police employee
- Must meet a minimum vision standard, corrected or uncorrected, of 20/50 acuity in each eye and 20/50 distant binocular acuity in both eyes
- Must possess a valid driver’s license to operate an automobile
- Must be willing, if appointed, to reside and serve anywhere within the state of Indiana as designated by the superintendent
- Must be a high school graduate as evidenced by a diploma or general equivalency diploma.
The starting salary for an Indiana State Police Department recruit is $1,445.75 bi-weekly during the academy training. At the completion of academy training, the starting salary is $39,213.00 a year. The Indiana State Police also offers an excellent health care plan, which includes medical, dental, vision and pharmacy coverage for both current and retired employees, along with their families. The Indiana State Police pension program provides a lifetime pension after 25 years of service. Additionally, the Indiana State Police Department provides comprehensive disability coverage and a life insurance program.
Interested applicants can obtain additional information about a career as an Indiana State Trooper by going online to find the recruiter assigned to your area.