SYRACUSE — Syracuse-Wawasee Chamber of Commerce members will be receiving nomination letters, if they haven’t already, in the mail in preparation for chamber’s annual awards banquet. Members will then have until Dec. 1 to submit their nominees for the different award categories.
At the chamber board’s regular meeting Wednesday, Nov. 4, Assistant Chamber Director Kristi Martin and Tricia Small, banquet task force chairperson, stated this is a change from years past when the board would nominate businesses and nonprofits for awards.
The banquet itself will occur Jan. 26 at Oakwood, and its theme will be “A Year in Syracuse.” So far board members are looking for silent auction items, plus table and award sponsors. Chamber members can expect invites in the mail early in December.
Other approaching chamber events were discussed, too. Holiday Magic will be rolling into town Saturday, Nov. 21. It will feature many returning favorites like sleigh rides, live entertainment, gingerbread houses, Santa and the lighting of the town Christmas tree. The event is once again split between Lakeland Youth Center and Veterans Memorial Park at Crosson Mill.
Finally, the Winter Carnival is getting a major boost in activities, which will run alongside the Wawawee Kiwanis Club snowmobile races. This year there will be ice carvers; hot air balloon rides; hiking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and more at the Wawasee Area Conservancy Foundation property; a beard contest; biscuit and gravy cook off at Grace Lutheran Church; and more.
Executive Director Tammy Cotton noted all the activities will be staggered time-wise and they are working toward securing a shuttle that would be able to transport visitors to the different locations, such as the Syracuse Community Center, the downtown area and Oakwood.
In other chamber news:
- Sylvia Gargett noted this year the chamber had quite a good array of lampposts decorated, adding, “I want to give a big thank you to all you who participated.”
- A new high school intern will be helping for the trimester at the chamber office.
- Two new members — Tippecanoe Lake Country Club and Plaza Harbor Condo Association — were approved.
- Work around the southern “Welcome to Syracuse” sign has been completed by the Syracuse-Wawasee Garden Club. The chamber is still waiting for word from Elkhart County in regards to the north sign.
- Young Entrepreneurs Association of Syracuse-Wawasee will be meeting from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 18, at M the Market.
- The chamber is looking for volunteers to serve on the golf outing committee. Any interested parties should contact Cotton at the chamber, (574) 457-5637.
Next chamber meeting is at noon Wednesday, Dec. 2, in the chamber office.