By VINCE ROBINSON
American Red Cross
During April and in conjunction with National Volunteer Month, the American Red Cross salutes the thousands of volunteers who help fulfill its lifesaving mission and encourages others to join their ranks as volunteer blood donors. You can be among those making a difference by reminding the public that volunteer donors are the only source of blood for patients in need of transfusions.
Donors of all blood types – especially those with types O negative, A negative and B negative – are needed to help ensure blood is available for patients this spring. Those who are unable to give blood can support blood donations and invite others to make a lifesaving donation by creating a SleevesUp virtual blood drive at redcrossblood.org/SleevesUp.
To find a convenient donation opportunity and schedule an appointment, donors can download the free Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
- 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Monday, April 6, First Baptist Church, 1011 S. Indiana Ave., Goshen.
- 12:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 2, Church of Christ, 206 W. Broadway, Etna Green.
- 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday, April 4, Lowe’s, 2495 Jalynn St., Warsaw.
- 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. Wednesday, April 8, Par-Kan, 2915 W. 900 S., Silver Lake.
Noon until 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 14, Center Lake Pavilion, 117 Canal St., Warsaw.
- 8 a.m. until noon Saturday, April 4, South Milford Church of Christ, 8030 E. 600 S., Wolcottville.
- 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday, April 7, Farmstead Inn and Conference Center, 370 S. Van Buren St., Shipshewana.
- 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Tuesday, April 14, St. Joseph Catholic Church, 50 N. 100 E., LaGrange.
- 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 8, Southwire, 515 Copperfield Way, Bremen.
- 1 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. Monday, April 13, Bourbon Christian School, 1324 N. Main St., Bourbon.
St. Joseph County
- Noon until 4 p.m. Saturday, April 11, Family Video, 520 Bitterwsweet Rd., Mishawaka.
- 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Wednesday, April 15, Indiana Univeristy, 1825 Northside Blvd., South Bend.
The Goshen Donor Center, located at 1123 S. Indiana Ave., in Goshen, is open noon to 6 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
How to donate blood
Simply download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.