Marvel comic fans are rejoicing this week after a major announcement from Marvel Studios unveiling all upcoming film releases from now to 2019. The Phase 3 unveiling will feature Marvel’s first female-led superhero film as well as the first African American-led superhero film.
Marvel also announced the casting of Chadwick Boseman as T’Challa, the title superhero of Black Panther –the first black superhero in comics. Boseman will debut his role first in Captain America: Civil War, which comes to theaters on May 6, 2016, before starring as the lead in Marvel’s Black Panther on Nov. 3, 2017.
Other releases that have fans buzzing include the upcoming Ant-Man (released July 17, 2015), The Avengers: Age of Ultron (released May 1, 2015), Dr. Strange (released Nov. 4, 2016), Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (released on May 5, 2017, ahead of its original release schedule), Captain America: Civil War (which will feature a hero vs. hero storyline on May 6, 2016),Thor: Ragnarok (July 28, 2017), The Inhumans (released Nov. 2, 2018) and The Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and 2 (released May 4, 2018 and May 3, 2019).
The first female-led film from Marvel Studios was also announced, Captain Marvel, which will release on July 6, 2018.
Film Synopsis And Release Dates
- “Doctor Strange” (Nov. 4, 2016) – Scott Derrickson will direct the film introducing the Master of the Mystic Arts to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/23542/marvels_doctor_strange_conjures_up_a_november_2016_release_date#ixzz3HZBoStxk
- “Captain America: Civil War” (2016) – Chris Evans will once again reprise his role as Captain America, joined by Robert Downey, Jr. as Iron Man and Chadwick Boseman, who will make his big screen debut as the Black Panther in the film. http://marvel.com/news/movies/23545/marvel_pits_captain_america_iron_man_in_a_cinematic_civil_war#ixzz3HZBYbQR1
- “Thor: Ragnarok” (July 28, 2017) – Chris Hemsworth will don the Mighty Avenger’s cape once more for the hero’s third solo adventure, and with a title as foreboding as “Ragnarok” you know he’ll have to rise to his toughest challenge yet this time around! More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/23544/thor_brings_ragnarok_to_the_marvel_cinematic_universe_in_2017#ixzz3HZCQCaHM
- Guardians of the Galaxy Sequel (May 5, 2017) – The Guardians will now return May 5, 2017, with writer/director James Gunn also returning to helm our oddball heroes’ next adventure. More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/23543/the_guardians_of_the_galaxy_to_return_even_sooner_than_expected_-_youre_welcome#ixzz3HZCuuhqJ
- Black Panther (Nov. 3, 2017) – Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has announced that Chadwick Boseman will bring the Black Panther to life beginning with his role in Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War,” in theaters May 6, 2016, before starring in his own solo film, Marvel’s “Black Panther,” on November 3, 2017. More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/23548/chadwick_boseman_to_star_in_marvels_black_panther#ixzz3HZDLGQ3s
- “Captain Marvel” (July 16, 2018) – The super heroine will make her debut in Marvel’s “Captain Marvel” on July 6, 2018, headlining the first female-led film from Marvel Studios. President Kevin Feige made the announcement at a special event revealing the full lineup of the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Phase 3 at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/23549/captain_marvel_soars_into_the_marvel_cinematic_universe#ixzz3HZDbiap8
- Inhumans (Nov. 2, 2018) – “Nov. 3, 2018 will introduce dozens of characters into the Marvel Cinematic Universe,” promised Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. “We really do believe the Inhumans can be a franchise or a series of franchise unto themselves. They have dozens of powers and an amazing social structure. With our 20th movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, we wanted to continue to refine what that universe is about.” More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/23550/marvels_inhumans_to_populate_the_big_screen_in_2018#ixzz3HZDsrlAX
- Avengers: Infinity War Part I (May 4, 2018) – The Avengers have already triumphed over Loki, and next summer they’ll face Ultron…but nothing could prepare them for the menace of Thanos. More on Marvel.com: http://marvel.com/news/movies/23546/marvels_the_avengers_head_into_an_infinity_war#ixzz3HZECqMy1