The annual budget for the Wawasee Community School Corporation is closer to being formally adopted. As required by state law, the school board held a budget hearing late Tuesday afternoon in Syracuse.
Jim Evans, director of finances for the school corporation, said the budget has been advertised in local newspapers. He gave a detailed explanation concerning the budget at a special school board meeting in late July.
No one from the public was present at Tuesday’s meeting. The budget will be considered for adoption by the school board during its regular monthly meeting beginning at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 9, in the Warrior Room of Wawasee High School where board meetings are normally held.
Personnel recommendations approved by the board Tuesday included:
• Paraprofessional changes include Melissa Nabinger for Syracuse Elementary Title I, Andrew Hepler for Syracuse Elementary kindergarten, Sonya Wroblewski for WHS special education and Chris Sindelar transferring from a five hour special education position to a 5.75 hour special education position at Wawasee Middle School.
• Michelle Graber will become the special education secretary for the school corporation.
• Kari Walmer has resigned as a special education instructor at WMS.
• Ashleigh Helfrich, Syracuse Elementary kindergarten teacher, is taking a leave on or around Jan. 5, 2015, through the end of the school year.
• Debbie Hardesty is a homebound instructor for Syracuse Elementary five hours per week.
• Jason Scott is transferring from a science teacher at WMS to a special eduction teacher at the same school. Lindsey Gunderson is a temporary seventh grade science teacher at WMS.