Information released this morning by the Kosciusko County Prosecutor’s Office alleges the parents of a 12-year-old Syracuse boy who died in his home this summer, were high on methamphetamine at the time of their son’s death.
On June 28, Skyler Spore was tragically found dead inside a residence located at 202 W. Washington St. in Syracuse. Turkey Creek Fire Territory EMS were called to the residence on reports that a young boy had stopped breathing. At approximately 3:47 p.m. that day, they discovered Spore, 12, deceased.
The residence was occupied by Spore; his parents, Darrick Spore and Candy Chamness, along with another child. All were present in the home at the time of the death.
Following an investigation by Syracuse Police Department, Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office, Department of Child Services and the Kosciusko Major Crimes Task Force, Darrick Spore, 34, and Candy Chamness, 33, were arrested over the weekend and charged with neglect of a dependent resulting in death. Darrick Spore faces an additional charge of reckless homicide.
According to the probable cause affidavit filed by Syracuse Police Department, Kosciusko County Dispatch received a welfare check request of children located at 202 W. Washington St., Syracuse. The caller believed that the subjects residing within the residence were manufacturing methamphetamine located in the bedroom of the residence.
Law enforcement and EMS arrived to find Skyler Spore lying on the floor of the upstairs bedroom, deceased. Police said later forensic evidence indicated Skyler had been deceased for several hours prior to the parents discovery of him from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.
The investigation found that the home’s electricity had been disconnected on June 27 and generators had been activated and placed in the basement and inside the porch area of the residence by the parents for electricity.
During the investigation, officers discovered Darrick Spore and Candy Chamness, as well as other individuals, had ingested methamphetamine and marijuana before and during the use of the generators and while both children were inside the home. That, say police, created an environment that endangered both the lives and health of Spore and Chamness’ dependents. Blood test results for Spore and Chamness were positive for methamphetamine.
An autopsy conducted by the Kosciusko County Coroner’s Office through the Northeast Forensic Center in Fort Wayne revealed that though the cause of death for Skyler Spore was pending toxicology tests. As of July 1 (see related) the tests did appear to be consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning, noting that the use of gas powered generators in the home appeared to be the primary source of the poisoning. Both
On Friday, Darrick Spore and Candy Chamness were booked into the Kosciusko County Jail each on one count of neglect of a dependent, a Class A felony, and reckless homicide, a Class C felony. They are being held on $150,000 surety bonds.