The American Red Cross continues to have an urgent need for blood donors of all blood types to give before the Labor Day holiday, even after many more donors stepped up to give following an urgent call issued in late July. Donors with types O negative, B negative and A negative blood are especially needed.
Blood donations often decline during the summer months, particularly around summer holidays. With school starting back up and summer activities coming to an end, there is still time for eligible donors to make a difference in the lives of patients this summer.
To encourage donations over the Labor Day holiday weekend, all donors who come out to donate blood Aug. 30 through Sept. 1, will receive a Red Cross mason jar tumbler, while supplies last.
To learn more and make an appointment to donate blood, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- Monday, Aug. 18, from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. at First Mennonite Church, 203 E. Lawrence in Middlebury.
- Monday, Aug. 25, from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. at First Baptist Church, 1011 S. Indiana Ave. in Goshen.
- Tuesday, Aug. 26, from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Maranatha Fellowship Church, 9639 W. Hepton Rd., Nappanee.
- Saturday, Aug. 16, from 11:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at Farmer’s Market, 121 N. Lake St., Warsaw.
- Tuesday, Aug. 19, from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. at North Webster Church of God, 302 N. Main in North Webster.
- Wednesday, Aug. 20, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Camp Creek Church of the Brethren, 7486 N. SR 19, Etna Green.
- Wednesday, Aug. 27, from 12 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. at Grace College Gordon Rec Center, 100 Publishers Dr. in Winona Lake.
- Friday, Aug. 29, from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. at AIA Countertops, 203 S. Huntington St., Syracuse.
- Tuesday, Aug. 19, from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Maple Grove Church, 806 S. Main St. in Topeka.
- Monday, Aug. 25, from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. at E & S Sales, 1265 N. SR 5, Shipshewana.
- Thursday, Aug. 28, from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Culver High School, 701 School St. in Culver.
- Saturday, Aug. 30, and Sunday, Aug. 31, from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Marshall County Blueberry Festival, 1660 N. Michigan St. in Plymouth.
St Joseph County
- Monday, Aug. 18, from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. at River Valley Church, 55855 Bittersweet Rd. in Mishawaka.
- Sunday, Aug. 24, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at Christ the King Lutheran, 17195 Cleveland Rd. in South Bend.
- Saturday, Aug. 30, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at Lowe’s Home Improvement, 4660 N. Grape Rd., Mishawaka.
The Goshen Donor Center
located at 1123 S. Indiana Ave. in Goshen
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.; closed Thursdays; Fridays and Saturdays, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m.
How to donate blood
Call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients.
A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.