The Edgewood and Lakeview Middle School Bands of Warsaw Community Schools completed another successful summer program with students in grades 6-8 participating in a 3-week free music program to help advance their instrument skills.
The camp was divided into two sections. The first section included students that just started to learn to play their instrument. Students were taught how to read notes, identify rhythms, and produce the proper tone on their instrument. The second section included students that had previously completed at least one year of instruction on their instrument.
Those students were able to build upon their musicianship skills by performing music that was both fun and challenging. “I am always excited to be able to witness the progress students achieve in such a short period of time. It’s very rewarding to work with Warsaw’s talented young musicians. Once they have a solid foundation with basics skills, what we can accomplish is amazing,” stated Mr. Joseph Peloza, middle school band director.
During the last week, there were special activities for all to enjoy including a cookout after their rehearsal, concerts to showcase their talents, and a fun filled day at Deep River Water Park. “I am fortunate to work with students that have decided to pursue musical opportunities. They will be able to enjoy what they have learned, their new experiences, and the memories they have created for the rest of their lives. If you know of someone who will be in grades 6-8 in the fall, I welcome you to be a part of our band program,” stated Mr. Peloza. Please contact Joseph Peloza at [email protected] to receive information.
Fun facts about the Edgewood and Lakeview Middle School Bands:
- The bands have consistently earned prestigious ratings at contest, entertained audiences, and represented our community with pride.
- Each year students are selected to participate in the All-Region Honor Band.
- The 7th & 8Th Grade Bands received a Gold Superior Rating at the Indiana State School Music Association Contest.
- The 8th Grade Bands earned a special “With Distinction” Award for their performance at contest.
- The combined middle school jazz band performs several concerts during the school year.
- The combined middle school pep band performs entertaining music during basketball games to show school spirit and to cheer on their teams.