Annual spring cleanup at the Palestine Cemetery will soon begin, meaning grave decorations that do not meet the standards set in the cemetery regulations, must be removed or brought into compliance by April 1.
The board of directors of the Palestine Cemetery, located in Palestine, have announced that decorations not in compliance with cemetery regulations after April 1 will be disposed of. The following are regulations regarding plantings, flowers and shrubbery:
- All flowers must be placed within the line of the headstone, on cement or in a cement urn, or fastened to the headstone securely.
- No wires, glass, shepherd’s hooks or hanging baskets may be set in the ground.
- All shrubbery shall be maintained or it will be removed at the owner’s expense.
- Winter grave blankets are permitted, if removed by April 1.
- All plantings and/or shrubbery must have approval of the cemetery board prior to planting.
Questions may be directed to the sexton of the Palestine Cemetery, Duane Burkhart, at 574-551-6666.