The Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation (TVSC) will offer a variety of community adult education classes at Tippecanoe Valley High School (TVHS) from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday starting Tuesday, March 18, and continuing through Thursday, April 24. Classes will not be held the week of spring break, April 7-11.
Classes to be offered include:
- Walk for fitness allows all ages the opportunity to walk the hallways of TVHS. There is no cost.
- Open swim will have the pool available for those who wish to swim for exercise or enjoyment. A lifeguard will be present; however, swimming instruction will not be provided. Children under the age of 13 are allowed if accompanied by an adult. Proper swim attire is required. A fee of $2 per swimmer will be collected to cover lifeguard costs.
- Open gym will have the TVHS Auxiliary Gym open for those who wish to get a group of adult TVSC patrons together to play basketball or volleyball. There is no cost.
- Open weight room will have the TVHS Weight Room available to adult TVSC patrons who wish to exercise by lifting weights. There is no cost.
- Sign language offers participants the opportunity to learn basic sign language. The class will be taught by Kelly Bradley from 6:00-8:00 p.m. on March 18, 20, 25, and 27. The cost is $5 per class. Advance registration is required.
- Intermediate photography and advanced photography classes provide an opportunity to learn how to tell the story of your family, special events, and everyday life using photography. Taught by Melanie Mason, the classes will conclude with a community gallery display of student photography.
- Intermediate Photography will focus on composition. It will be held from 6:00-7:30 p.m. on March 18, 20, 25, and 27. The cost is $10 for all four dates. Participants must have a basic camera. Advance registration is required.
- Advanced photography will focus on manipulating camera settings. It will be held from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on April 1, 3, 15, and 17. The cost is $10 for all four dates. Participants must have an advanced ALR camera. Advance registration is required.
- CERT training will be taught by Kosciusko County Emergency Management Director Ed Rock. The class will educate participants about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills such as fire safety, light search, team organization and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available.
- CERT training will be held from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, April 19, and Saturday, April 26. Participants are required to bend, lift and crawl and must attend both classes to complete the course. Those who complete the course, which is free due to funding provided by FEMA of Kosciusko County, will receive a CERT Backpack that contains tools and supplies that allow the participant to help themselves and others. Advance registration is required.
The registration deadline for sign language, intermediate photography and advanced photography, and CERT training is Thursday, March 14. Classes requiring advance registration will be offered pending sufficient participation. Tippecanoe Valley Community Adult Education brochures are available from the office of any TVSC school or the corporation website.