Don Roulo is the CEO (Chief Encouragement Officer) of Life Quest. He is a life, career and business coach as well as a Certified 48 Days Workshop Facilitator. He travels nationally and internationally to conduct business and career training as well as marriage and family workshops.
By DON ROULO
(This is the second of a two part series. See Part I HERE.)
Last week I discussed the importance of knowing and understanding your personality. It really plays a critical part in your ultimate success in life and career.
It plays a crucial part in our communication with others, whether it is in our families or with our co-workers and clients. It plays a crucial part in finding the career or business that best fits who we were made to be. As a reminder, there are four basic types of personalities in the DISC Profile: Dominance, Influence, Steadiness and Conscientious.
Dominant: Someone with a Dominant personality is very much a bottom line person who focuses on results. They are full of ideas and dreams and they tend to be outgoing.
- Strengths: They like taking charge, likes authority, confident, determined and self-reliant. They are often times the boss at work or an entrepreneur.
- Weaknesses: They can hurt others’ feelings, turn people off and overlook details.
- They think in terms of the big picture and not on the smaller tasks required to make the project happen.
- Career/Business: Often in the position of a business manager, principal, production coordinator, writer, entrepreneur, real estate or auto sales agent. About 18 percent of the population falls into this personality type.
Influence: Someone with an Influencer personality type also is an idea person and a dreamer. They are very outgoing and enjoy being around people. They are very expressive.
- Strengths: They are good talkers, entertaining, fun-loving, creative, optimistic and are great promoters.
- Weaknesses: They can lose sight of the task, they won’t be quiet and listen and they can have a tendency to waste time.
- They think in terms of the big picture, but also about the people who are involved.
- Careers/Business: Often in the position of a clergy member, advertising manager, sales agent, business administrator, faculty member, public speaker, event coordinator and an actor. About 28 percent of the population falls into this type of personality.
Steadiness: Someone with the Steadiness type of personality is very relationship oriented and often less outgoing. They are very faithful and dependable.
- Strengths: They are steady, loyal, calm, enjoy routine, understanding, patient and are good listeners. These types are very amiable and easy to get along with. They are great team members.
- Weaknesses: They avoid conflict, can be slow to act, and they maintain a low profile.
- They think in terms building relationship with those around them and getting the task at hand done.
- Careers/Business: Often in the position of an investigator, pharmacist, counselor, market analyst, computer programmer and chiropractor. Most of the population falls into this personality type – a whopping 40 percent.
Conscientious: Someone with the Conscientious personality type is probably the least outgoing of all four types. They enjoy working alone and are very task oriented.
- Strengths: They love details, are very logical, factual, deliberate, predictable and inquisitive. Give them the task of finding out all the details and they go to town.
- Weaknesses: They can appear rigid, too serious and are resistant to change. They can come across as uncaring or aloof. They can lose sight of the people part of the project.
- They think in terms of the getting the task at hand done and done right.
- Careers/Business: Often found in the position of an accountant, medical records tech, architect, actuary, pilot and engineer. Again, they are very detail oriented and their focus is on the task at hand. About 14 percent of the population falls into this personality type.
If you would like to find out more about your personality, go to the ‘Products’ page on my website at www.lifequestcoaching.net.
About the Author
Don Roulo is a life, career and business coach as well as a Certified 48 Days Workshop Facilitator. He travels nationally and internationally to conduct business and career training as well as marriage and family workshops.
As a business consultant, he has written business plans and worked to market products or services as well as organizing financial statements for investors. Because of his success in the sales and business arena, Don has been blessed with the opportunity to train, motivate and inspire others. His passion is to motivate and equip people to find their passion and achieve their goals and God given destiny.