A fire in Pierceton Thursday night left two people homeless.
Pierceton Fire Department was called at 9:30 p.m. to 5358 E. Washington Rd., Pierceton, where a mobile home was reportedly burning. By the time crews arrived on scene, the trailer was fully engulfed and Winona Lake Fire Department was called for a full assist.
The occupants of the trailer, Wade and Bobbi Starkey, were able to exist the home unharmed. They are being assisted by the American Red Cross of Kosciusko County.
According to Squad 70 investigator Gordon Baker, the fire began when a particle board below a water heater in the home broke, causing the water heater to shift it’s position. According to Baker, the break was the result of both aging and a water leak. After the heater moved, Baker stated it kinked a nearby LP gas line that resulted in a leak. That leak was then ignited by the water heater and spread to nearby combustibles.
The total amount of lost property is estimated at about $25,000.
Multi-Township EMS also assisted on scene.