During the hearing officer portion of the agenda for the regular monthly meeting of the Kosciusko County Board of Zoning Appeals in Warsaw, approval was granted for the Clunette Elevator to expand its operations.
The petition for Clunette Elevator, located on CR 600 North, west of Leesburg, included the addition of a fertilizer storage warehouse. Approval was given with the condition that only dry fertilizer be stored in the building to be located on the northwest corner of the property.
In nearby Milford, Daniel Fluke was granted approved for retail sales, specifically consignment sales, in a building on the southeast corner of Old SR 15 and CR 1300 North. Ascot Enterprises also uses the building for fabric storage.
The property is zoned for industrial use, so approval for retail sales is required by the BZA.
Another agenda item included approval being given to Shepherd by the Lakes Church to establish a new cemetery on its property on the south side of CR 1000 North at the intersection with SR 13, south of Syracuse. In recent years it is highly unusual for new cemeteries to be started in the county, but it was noted by Jerry Winegarden, pastor of the church, it is common for Lutheran churches to have a cemetery associated with the church and the congregation requested it.
Other agenda items included:
- Approval was granted to Danny and Nancy White for a variance to permit construction of a residence on EMS T48B Lane at Lake Tippecanoe.
- James Cassell’s petition for a variance to permit construction of a shed was continued to the September meeting because the BZA wants a survey of the property completed first. The property is located on EMS T5 Lane in Tippecanoe Township and the survey will clarify exactly where the right of way is located.
- LeAnn and Mitchell Phelps were granted approval for an exception to allow a guest house to remain as placed by a previous owner, but with the condition a deed restriction is added indicating the home will only be used for overflow family guests and not rented to a third party. It is located on Barbee Road, west of EMS B71 Lane in Tippecanoe Township.
- Darrell Bryum was approved for a variance to permit construction of a porch on EMS B31 Lane, north of McKenna Road in Tippecanoe Township.
- Kricsie Myers’ petition for an exception to allow a new home on a tract of ground with three homes already on it, but which will be replaced, was continued until the September meeting. BZA members want to visit the property first before making a decision.
- Jon Fitzpatrick was approved for a variance to permit construction of a residential accessory building on the north side of EMS B6 Lane at the intersection with SR 13 in Tippecanoe Township.
- Jerry Paulausky was granted a variance to allow an existing deck to remain as placed on Ideal Beach Drive, north of SR 13, in Turkey Creek Township.
- Lance German was granted a variance to allow a residence accessory to remain on a residential tract without a residence. The property is on the east side of EMS B44 Lane, east of Sullivan Road in Tippecanoe Township. Approval was granted with the condition the property stays in German’s ownership or is sold to someone who will comply with the ordinance.
County BZA meetings are held the second Tuesday of each month in the Justice Building in downtown Warsaw.