Seven homes will be featured on this year’s Winona Lake House Tour.
The tour will be from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 10. The cost is $10.
Tickets are available at each house or at the Old Jail Museum in Warsaw. The tour is sponsored by the Kosciusko County Historical Society.
This year’s homes are:
• Dan and Theresa Daggett, 513 School St. According to the current owners, the house was built in 1929. The house was not originally covered with stone, that came a few years later, and is part field stone and part cut stone. The owners have been told there is a rock from every one of the 48 continental states somewhere on the house.
• Scott and Nicole Shipley, 101 Fourth St. Built in 1910, this house is constructed of several types of decorative concrete block. Its asymmetrical composition, rounded turret, large wrap-around porch, and use of color-leaded glass are all characteristic of Victorian Queen Anne style. The house displays the popular mix of Classical Revival details including bracketed eaves, Palladian window openings, and paired columns.
• Nate and Robyn McLaurin, 701 Terrace Dr. “The Hillside” was built in 1901-1902, the same year the canal was dredged to create McDonald Island. The badly-deteriorated “Hillside” underwent a transformation and is again a single-family dwelling, which retains its original wood siding, windows, and expansive porches with a magnificent lakeview.
• Daren and Lorraine Deffenbaugh, 805 Terrace Dr., and Paul and Kari Giarrizzo, 803 Terrace Dr. The most impressive of Winona’s guest cottages in its earliest days was an ensemble of three structures on Terrace Drive. Divided down the center, both sides are identical in design, with the north unit featuring an original fireplace.
• Billy Sunday Home, 1111 Sunday Ln. “Mount Hood” was the home of Winona Lake’s most famous residents, Billy Sunday (1862–1935) and his wife, Helen, and their family. A visit to Mount Hood bungalow is a trip back in time. With its original furnishings and decorating, the home offers a glimpse not only of the Sundays’ lives, but of what life was like in the early 1900s.
• The 202-unit old Winona Hotel. The Winona Hotel, which is now condominiums, has always been the premiere facility at the entrance to downtown Winona Lake. The hotel is the oldest building in the Village at Winona. It was constructed by the Beyer brothers in 1888 and it contained 40 rooms.
For more information on the Winona Lake House Tour, call 574-269-1078.