An inflatable eagle on the roof of the Family Dollar complex in Syracuse is suspected to have caused a gas line to break overnight, but it was not noticed until this morning.
Syracuse/Turkey Creek Fire Territory Fire Department was called at 9:21 a.m. today to Family Dollar, Pickwick Road, Syracuse, when employees reported the smell of natural gas and hearing a hissing sound.
Firefighters arrived and evacuated the store and adjacent business. What they found was a 1½ inch gas line on the roof had been broken off.
An inflatable eagle, tethered down with cement blocks, had been placed on top of the roof earlier. It’s believed during Monday evening’s storm the inflatable was dragged across the roof with the block hitting the gas line and causing the break.
NIPSCO responded to the scene to repair the break. The eagle has not been located.
Family Dollar was closed for several hours while the leak was located and repaired.