Milford Town Council began with a special recognition of Indiana State Trooper Kyle Dukes Monday night. State Rep. Rebecca Kubacki commended Dukes on his work in putting together signage on both ends of town recognizing World War II veteran Harry Michael.
Dukes spoke briefly to the council about his experiences in putting together memorial services at Milford School and asking Cindy Kaiser, principal at Milford School, if he could push a Jeep into the school gym. Dukes also noted a late night phone call to Michael’s brother, inspiring him to finish his speech for the service.
“This was a voyage – a journey I’ll never forget,” stated Dukes.
In other Milford business:
- A new ordinance has been signed preventing individuals from blocking the sidewalk. The ordinance states that no “junk,” people or vehicles should block sidewalks. An exception to the new ordinance would be during festivals or sidewalk sales when vendors use the sidewalks for special events.
- Another ordinance is prepared, but not yet signed, adjusting the water meter billing cycle from bimonthly to monthly. It will likely be signed next month, after all of the needed transfers have been made.
- Milford Police Department announcement the 2013 Ford Explorer with all-wheel drive the police department ordered has been discontinued. Instead, Kerlin Motors of Silver Lake will provide an all-new 2014 Ford Explorer for the same price as the 2013 model. Production on the 2014 Ford Explorer, however, did not begin until June, so the police department won’t receive the vehicle as soon as they’d hoped.
- The police department announced that it has completed and sent a grant application into the State of Indiana for funding for a school resource officer.
- Milford Utilities Department expressed its concerns with people flushing disinfectant wipes and hand wipes down toilets. The utilities department would like to remind residents that wipes are not biodegradable and do cause plumbing issues.
The next meeting of the Milford Town Council is scheduled for 7 p.m. July 8, at Milford Town Hall.