A free educational workshop titled “Savvy Social Security Planning: What Baby Boomers Need to Know to Maximize Retirement Income” has been scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday, May 18, at Warsaw Community Public Library, 310 E. Main St.
After being told for years Social Security is “going broke,” baby boomers are realizing it will soon be their turn to collect. But the decisions they make now can have a tremendous impact on the total amount of benefits they stand to receive during their lifetime.
Questions boomers are asking include:
• Will Social Security be there for me?
• How much can I expect to receive?
• When should I apply for Social Security?
• How can I maximize my benefits?
• Will Social Security be enough to live on in retirement?
To help baby boomers better understand the Social Security system, this workshop will cover:
• Five factors to consider when deciding when to apply for benefits.
• When it makes sense to delay benefits — and when it does not.
• Why you should always check your earnings record for accuracy.
• How to estimate your benefits.
• How to coordinate benefits with your spouse.
• How to minimize taxes on Social Security benefits.
• How to coordinate Social Security with your other sources of retirement income.
This educational workshop is sponsored by DuPont & Associates Inc. and the American Retirement Benefits Council.
Seating is limited and reservations are recommended. Individuals may make reservations by calling the library at 574-267-6011.