A fire outside of North Webster left one elderly woman in critical condition on Saturday, Feb. 23.
According to Sparta Township Fire Department’s Jason Stump, Elenor Steller, the 91-year-old sole resident of a two-story farm house located at 10510 W. 200 S., Cromwell, was caught in burning house after falling asleep while a candle was left unattended in her home. Stump believes the fire likely began in the living room of Steller’s home as the entire front half of the house was engulfed in flames.
Stump was flown to St. Joe Medical Center in Fort Wayne and was reported in critical condition on Sunday evening. The 91-year-old reportedly suffered from minor burns on her face and arms as well as smoke inhalation.
The fire began at approximately 5:40 p.m. and was under control at 9:30 p.m. Cromwell, Ligioneer, Noble Township and North Webster fire departments responded.