Several years ago this building on SR 15 in Leesburg, now the Freedom Express gas station, was used as a station for the Winona Interurban Railway. On its route from Goshen to Peru, the electric interurban made a stop in Leesburg.
Interurban passenger service ceased in 1934 and the line was used to move freight until 1952. County property records online show the building was built in 1920. It was also used as a bus station before bays were added to the north end and the building was converted to a gas station.
In the spring, the plan is to tear the building down and build a larger one to replace it. Freedom Oil purchased the former bank building to the south and the alley between the gas station and the former bank was vacated.