A house fire broke out at 102 S. Jackson in Atwood just after noon today when a passerby reported flames on a back porch of a residence. The residential dwelling is a duplex in the Jackson Heights neighborhood.
Atwood Fire and Mentone EMS were the initial departments called to the scene. Upon arrival of fire personnel, mutual aid from Etna Green Fire Department was requested, as was a tanker from Warsaw Fire Department, but the tanker was quickly disregarded as the fire was brought under control.
According to county records, the residence is owned by Rick and Jo Ellen Jackson. No one was hurt in the blaze which resulted in extensive damages to the rear quarter of one half of the duplex.
According to the fire investigation team, the blaze started in or near an exterior light at the back door of the residence. The fire burned through the vinyl siding and spread into the ceiling are of the kitchen.
No damage estimate was provided.