A family of six has been displaced after a fire swept through their mobile home early this morning.
Kim Komdeur of the Kosciusko County Chapter of the American Red Cross, says the family was in the process of moving and lost some furniture and all of their clothing. The Red Cross has assisted with clothing and temporary housing.
The fire broke out at around 2 a.m. this morning in the Suburban Acres Mobile Home Park at lot 151, CR 175 East. The Leesburg-Plain Township Fire Department responded and were on scene approximately two hours. According to Michael Wilson, investigator with L-PTFD, the fire started in a back room by a window. He could not rule out that smoking materials may have been to blame.
The family of Stephanie Puckett was asleep in the trailer when the fire started. Puckett tells StaceyPageOnline.com that their pitbull woke them allowing them to escape without injury.
Wilson said the trailer had no electricity or natural gas service and the family had been using propane heaters, but the heaters were not a factor in the fire. He ruled the loss of the structure and contents at $18,000.
The family had no insurance and Puckett says they are today in need of size 5 diapers for one child. The other children have all received clothing from the Red Cross, but Puckett, her sister and her mother are in need of clothing – women’s jeans in sizes 5 to 11 and size 16, and women’s tops in sizes medium and large.
The Red Cross has agreed to collect items for the family. Anyone wanting to donate may call the Red Cross office at 574-267-5244.
The family also needs wash clothes and towels. They are currently staying with other family members.