A major gas leak was reported in Winona Lake at 11 a.m. today causing fire officials to evacuate all residences and businesses in the area known as The Village. The leak was in the area of Auditorium and Park Avenue.
Winona Lake and Warsaw fire departments were called to help with evacuations after a crew from Carey Excavating working in the area struck a gas line. NIPSCO was called to the scene and were able to quickly contain the leak.
Winona Lake Police say The Village re-opened to residents and businesses after about 40 minutes.