The Winona Lake Fire Department, with full assistance from Warsaw and Pierceton, were called to the Wooster Road complex at approximately 7:30 p.m. Monday. According to Winona Lake Fire Chief Mitch Titus, a dehumidifier malfunctioned and resulted in heavy smoke.
Firefighters worked quickly to prevent a fire and residents were moved out of the building. Jeff Carroll, CEO of Grace Village, said dehumidifier was in a meeting room – also known as a quiet room – between the nursing wing and the assisted living quarters.No one was injured in the event. Titus said smoke damage is estimated at about $20,000.